Returning Veterans Homestead Exemption
- Lowers the equalized assessed value of your property by $5,000 in the year you return from active duty in an armed conflict and the following year after.
- This can be claimed in addition to the General Homestead Limited Exemption and any applicable Senior Citizen's Exemptions.
- To receive this exemption, you must own and occupy the property applied for as your principal residence on January 1 of the tax year.
- Supply a copy of your DD214, if applicable; otherwise a copy of your most recent military orders and travel voucher showing the date of your return.
- If you are applying for this exemption and the property is held in trust, the law requires that we verify the applicant is a beneficiary of that trust. The exemption cannot be applied without this verification. Please include a copy of that part of the actual trust agreement which states that the applicant is the beneficiary. This can usually be found on the first few pages of the trust document. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly at 847.377.2100.