Senior Homestead Exemption
Senior Homestead Exemption Application
- Have reached age 65 during the tax year.
- Own and live in the property as your principal residence.
- Apply for the exemption at the township assessor's office or the Chief County Assessment Office.
- You will need to bring a copy of the deed to the property and proof of age with you when you apply. If the property is held in trust, you will also need a copy of the trust agreement indicating the beneficiary.
- This exemption lowers the equalized assessed value of your property by $4,000 (through tax year 2012), and will be increasing to $5,000 starting in tax year 2013. The exemption may be claimed in addition to the Homestead Limited Exemption.