Senior Citizen's Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption
- First-time applicants can obtain forms from the Chief County Assessment Office or your local township assessor’s office.
- This exemption freezes the assessment on your property if your total household income is $55,000 or less.
- This exemption does not freeze your tax rate; it freezes the assessed valuation that appears on your tax bill.
- This exemption must be renewed annually. The Chief County Assessment Office mails applications to all taxpayers receiving the Senior Homestead Exemption.
- If you are applying for this exemption and the property is held in trust, the law requires that we verify the applicant is a beneficiary of that trust. The exemption cannot be applied without this verification. Please include a copy of that part of the actual trust agreement which states that the applicant is the beneficiary. This can usually be found on the first few pages of the trust document. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly at 847-377-2100.